7 Oral Hygiene Tips for Healthy Teeth and Gum
A beautiful smile is said to be a joy forever. It is capable of creating great impact on the social, personal and professional aspects of our lives. It is for this reason that the perfect Hollywood smile is so much coveted these days.
But like every good thing your pearly whites also call for lots of effort and hard work on your part for their upkeep. If you want to retain a beautiful smile you have to work towards it. Gum disease, cavities and tooth discoloration are some of the major symptoms of poor oral health that can take a toll on not only the functionality of your mouth but also on the way how your smile looks.
Not only that, at times these oral issues can also affect the overall body health. That is why proper oral care is of utmost significance. You can prevent plaque buildup and cavities, eliminate bad breath and even put a halt to gum disease if you take care of your oral health in the right way.
Thus, you can put at bay severe oral health issues by properly looking after your teeth and your gums so that they can last a lifetime without any trouble. Studies have revealed that while more than 20 percent of the adults have untreated tooth decay, over 90 percent of adults between the ages of 20-64 years have cavities in their permanent teeth.
However, there is nothing to worry! Here are some oral hygiene tips that will help to maintain great oral health for you. Jut read on.
- Brushing Properly Is Essential – Even when you are brushing twice a day, and are not brushing in the right way, you may be doing more harm than any good to your teeth. The specialists recommend the following ways of brushing for warding off any kind of oral issue.
- Brush for two minutes twice a day
- In relation to your gums you should hold the brush in 45 degrees angle and use the short round strokes for brushing
- First start with brushing the outer surface of the teeth, then move to the inner surface and finally reach the chewing surface of the teeth.
- You should hold the brush in a vertical manner to brush the rear side of the teeth
- User the Correct Toothbrush – The experts recommend that brushing for a couple of minutes. For that you should choose a brush with soft bristles. You have to brush for two minutes with 30 seconds in each quadrant for a thorough clean.
- Regular Flossing is a Must –You should floss at least once a day. This helps to do away with the plaque and the food particles that remain etched in between the teeth. It does not matter when you floss – morning, afternoon or night, but you have to just ensure that you don’t skip it under any circumstances.
- Clean the Tongue –You will find ridges in the back of many toothbrushes . These are for brushing the tongue. If you are not aware of it, then you should use the tongue scraper once a day for removing the bacteria from the tongue surface. This will boost the oral health and will keep bad breath at bay.
- Go for the Mouth Gym –The mouth exercises help to stimulate the flow of blood and keep the gums healthy. Try to gently bite down, after massaging the gums, to the point where the teeth can make a clicking sound at the point of meeting. A good rep count is like 30-40 times a day.
- Rinse the Mouth – Mouthwashes work great as a mouth-freshener. But it can also have oral boosting abilities. Some special mouthwashes help to strengthen the teeth, prevent the formation of plaque and ward off the possibility of gingivitis. You can ask your dentist about the therapeutic mouthwashes if you are not interested about the over-the counter products.
- Avoid Tobacco Products – This is one of the best things to do for your teeth and gums as well as your overall health. Tobacco not only causes bad breath and stains the teeth, but it also leads to periodontal complications and can also cause oral cancer. That is why it is highly recommended that you should avoid the tobacco products as much as possible.
The above are some of the things that you should keep in mind and follow for healthy teeth and gums. Apart from that, you should also go for regular appointments with the most reputed dentist nearby so that any oral issue lurking in your mouth can be detected early and treated and you can get proper guidance about how you can keep oral problems at bay so that you can flaunt your smile whenever you want with confidence.